This post is titled "Bad Lula" subtitled "OH MY GOD I AM SO STUPID."
Tonight is my 100th post! If I were a TV show I'd get a cake. Where the heck is the cake???
It seems only fitting that this post be about Lula. Okay, by now I'm sure you all know I love the Stephanie Plum books, so much so in fact that I have endeavored to imortalize the characters forever (barring decay and moths) in quilted form. I am so very behind on my Block-a-Days that when I saw today's block was very complex I thought, "Ah, penance! I will make FOUR of them out of my Lula fabrics and have my mini Lula (an oxymoron in itself) top complete!" I intended to make 4, 12" blocks for a 24" finished quilt.
I took one look at the block on the calender, a block based on a nine patch and thought "okay, I need 3.5" sections." Wrong. Duh. It gets worse. Some of the sections were actually 4 patches (3 HSTs and 1 plain square). So I thought, "For a 3.5" section I'll need 1.5" HSTs" and I cut out and made 72 1.5" HSTs. I did not square them all up, thank GOD because as I was squaring up just the 18 I needed for ONE block I realized that they would finish to 1", which would give me a much smaller block than I originally intended. Really? Duh!
So here it is, my Bad Lula block which is SIX and a HALF INCHES. No, it isn't square. I don't know what happened with that. The fabrics are great, just like I thought but no way am I making any more of these. All those remaining unsquared microscopic HSTs are going in the trash. Probably I will use this block, as planned and laid out like this for my mini-Lula quilt but with the correct measurements to ensure a 12.5" quilt block. What do I do with this one? Small borders and make it a horrible potholder?
In other news I finished the last bag today that I had the pieces made for. I got it done about 7 and thought that I just didn't want to have to dig through a bunch of little batik scraps to make another one tonight. So instead of made a million little HSTs. Sigh. Tomorrow I'll make another bag.
Today Tony and I finally finished the pedestal frame for our king size bed!! He sanded and I painted stain/sealant on it and we got it DONE! Finally! He made it in 2 sections, each twin size with 2 24" deep drawers in the side. We will lay the 2 pieces together in our room with a board across the top to support the mattress and box spring. Tony designed this and built it all by himself. I am so proud of him and I love it!
While we were pretending to be carpenters Jeremiah decided to try out his cousin Dana's bike! He did really well and was able to ride it! AND managed not to run into our car!