I've been knitting my Aunt Bev some mittens from the yarn I got from WoolyHands' Spin Along. I knit almost a whole mitten yesterday but then I frogged the whole thing because it was too big! Not to be detered I cast on again with less stitches and started to knit.
This is what I've come up with! I LOVE them and I think she will too! The tan merino yarn I had to substitute with for the finger tips and thumb looks much better in person that in does in the pictures for some reason. I decreased twice between the thumb and fingertips to mske the fingers more fitted and less bulky.
I cast on 32 stitches, joined in the round and knit 2, purl 2 for the ribbing for 10 rows.
Continued this process for 8 rows so that I effectively increased 8 stitches for the thumb.
Placed those new 8 stitches on another needle to hold them and knit 7 more rows.
On the 8th row I knit every 7th and 8th stitch together to decrease evenly and slightly.
Knit 5 more rows, on row 6 I decreased every 6th and 7th stitch.
Knit until I ran out of the spun along yarn and switched to the tan merino. I think it was 5 rows until I cinched and tied off.
I wear a woman's size large glove and my hand is 7.5" long. I just had to try the mittens on occasionally to see how much farther I had to go. These were VERY quick to knit. If knitting while watching TV they only take an hour or two each. The yarn is average worsted but is think and thin. The needles are size 4.5mm which I think is a 7.